DIY Grain-Free Peanut Butter Treats
Dogs are naturally meat eaters, so a grain-free diet is essential for maintaining optimal health in your canine companion. There are many benefits to keeping your dog on a grain-free diet, which include:
• A grain-free diet can keep your canine companion more satisfied and full.
• A grain-free diet can help in the reduction of food allergies.
• A grain-free diet can give dogs more energy.
• A grain-free diet can give your dog a healthy coat and skin.
• A grain-free diet can promote reduced shedding.
• A grain-free diet can reduce flatulence and bad breath.
When you look at your dog food ingredients, check if there is any corn, wheat, sorghum or soy. If this is the case, then you may want to consider changing your dog food to help keep your dog healthy.
When to Reward Your Dog
There are many reasons you should reward your canine with treats. When your dog has mastered a new trick, then a treat can promote good behavior and let your dog know he or she has succeeded. Another reason you may want to give your dog a treat is when it is his or her birthday. A birthday treat is a perfect way to celebrate your dog’s special day, but you’ll still want to make your dog do something for the treat. Rewarding your dog for doing nothing can sometimes lead to bad behavior (and no one wants to be scolded on their birthday).
You can also give your dog a treat when he or she is relaxed. It is not a good idea to give a dog a treat if he or she is overstimulated. When you get the treat out, your dog will likely become excited. . Best thing to do here is to stand still as a statue until your dog calms down. Once your pup has calmed down and is patiently waiting, you may give him/her the treat. If you reward a dog with a treat when he or she is calm, it will help your dog from getting too excited in certain situations.
A Grain-Free Dog Treat Recipe
If you want to ensure your dog eats treats that are nutritious and grain-free, then you can try making the treats yourself. Here is a grain-free recipe for dog treats from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen:
The prep time for this recipe is only ten minutes and cook time is fifteen.
• 1 ½ cup coconut flour
• 4 organic eggs
• ½ cup coconut oil
• ½ cup nut butter or peanut butter (be sure there are no additional ingredients)
• 1 cup and 2 tablespoons sweet potato or pumpkin puree
• 1/3 cup carrots, shredded
• 2 teaspoons dried parsley
• First, preheat your oven to 175 degrees C.
• In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients form dough into a ball
• Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper
• Use cookie cutters, or roll dough into desired shape
• Move the cookies to a baking sheet
• Put in the oven and bake for around 12 to 15 minutes (the treats should be hard)
• Let cool, then serve to your canine companion
If your dough is too dry, then you can add an egg for moisture. If you want, you can also integrate unsweetened applesauce into the recipe. Do not overindulge your dog after you are finished baking the treats. Store treats in a baggie or air-tight container to preserve freshness.
Reward your pup everyday with a food that meets their every nutritional need. Already a loyal fan? Share this information with a friend or family member.