Skip to content
From Aussie pet food critic! Free shipping Australia wide. Excl. NT. 0 contact 0

7 Common Plants that are Poisonous to Dogs

7 Common Plants that are Poisonous to Dogs

Having a beautiful garden is such a pleasure, but when choosing plants, think about whether your dog will be joining you in your outdoor space. If so, you should try to stick to non-toxic flowers, trees and shrubs, so you can spend your time relaxing in your garden, not watching to make sure your dog doesn’t eat something poisonous. The following are 7 common plants here in Australia that are very toxic to dogs.

#1 - Azaleas

Azaleas are a popular garden plant that grows well in a range of climates. They can thrive from Brisbane to Perth and as far south as Melbourne. However, they are very toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and even result in cardiac failure. They are a member of the Rhododendron family, which is also toxic.

#2 - Angel’s Trumpets

Although not native to Australia, they have become popular due to their lovely flowers. But these flowers are deadly! The entire plant is dangerous, so if you see your dog eating any part, a vet visit is required. It causes diarrhea, disorientation, paralysis, and death.

#3 - Deadly Nightshade

Another common garden plant found throughout Australia, especially New South Wales and Victoria, is deadly nightshade. As the name implies this plant can kill not only your dog, but humans (so watch your children!). Both the fruit and the leaves are toxic and cause many complications including diarrhea, lethargy, slowed heart rate, confusion, dilated pupils and weakness.

#4 - Eucalyptus

Although Koalas live on this plant, it is toxic to dogs, as well as cats and horses. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, and drooling.

#5 - Milky Mangrove

Found all over Western Australia, Queensland and New South Wales, this highly poisonous plant can cause temporary blindness as well as skin irritations. In this case, your dog just has to come in contact with the plant, not ingest. It can also cause these same problems in humans, so best to not add this plant to your garden and avoid it on walks!

#6 - Oleander

This popular flower is highly toxic, and can be fatal to children and dogs if enough is ingested. Symptoms include diarrhea, drooling, and lethargy.

#7 - Spurges

“Spurges” is the common slang for the over 200 species of plants in the Euphorbia genus. All of these plants are toxic! And, many of them are native and widespread throughout Australia. It is the sap inside the stems that is poisonous, causing inflammation in the eyes, nose and throat, and blindness.

There are many varieties of plants that are toxic to dogs, cats, horses, and people. If you are working on a garden, it’s good to do your research before you plant to ensure the safety of you and your pets.



    1 out of ...